Music is one of our favorite forms of entertainment. Mega superstars such as Madonna, Justin Bieber, Michael Jackson, Prince, and the Beatles are born from great lyrics and voices. The past couple of years has seen an explosion of wireless speakers and their popularity stems from cutting the cord. Multi-component systems are a thing of the past.
While there are hundreds of speakers that are designed for on-the-go usage, those don’t sound anywhere near as good as models designed for home use. Power, build, audio streaming capabilities, and drivers all contribute to great speakers. Typically more power and more drivers equates to better sound, but you can’t forget about features such as Google Cast or Apple Airplay. Both Google Cast and Airplay allow you to control and stream music over wireless connections, and keep the music quality high.
There is an abundance of home wireless speakers varying in prices from low to high, and we are here to help you sort out which speaker or speakers are best for you.
Raumfeld is easily one of my favorite brands for home audio. I had the opportunity to demo all of its wireless speakers at CES 2016, and have been testing the the Stereo Cubes and One M at home for the past month.
True wireless high fidelity is the foundation for all of Raumfeld’s speakers and I can attest to it. Raumfeld sound quality is jaw dropping good, and they have a range of speakers that start at $249 and work their way up into the higher end at $2400.
See the entire line-up of Raumfeld speakers at www.us.raumfeld.com
Raumfeld One S – $249 at Amazon
- Compact Wi-Fi speaker for streaming from nearly any source
- 2-way coaxial system plus passive bass radiators driven by 50 watt bi-amping technology produce incredible clarity and power
- A humidity resistant design & handy preset buttons make the One S ideal for bathroom and kitchen environments
- Enjoy top streaming services, internet radio and your own music collection with wide-ranging file compatibility (e.g. FLAC, AAC, MP3) via the intuitive Raumfeld app
- Add additional Raumfeld devices to create a multi-room system
Raumfeld One M – $499.00 at Amazon
- All-in-one Wi-Fi speaker for streaming music content from nearly any source
- 5 driver stereo system plus down firing subwoofer powered by 120 watt integrated amplifier for powerful hi-fi sound
- Brushed aluminum preset buttons for instant access to your favorite streams and playlists, Bauhaus-inspired design
- Enjoy a wide-range of streaming services, internet radio and your own music collection via the intuitive Raumfeld app
Raumfeld Stereo L (pair) – $2399.00 at Amazon
- High-end Wi-Fi tower speakers, delivered as a stereo pair, for streaming music from nearly any source
- Powerful 400 watt integrated amplifier and 3-way system for high quality & precise sound
- Balanced, neutral tuning and stereo setup guarantee authentic playback
- Select materials including a wooden cabinet, brushed aluminum controls and matte lacquer finish enhance the iconic Bauhaus-inspired design
- Enjoy top streaming services, internet radio and your own music collection with wide-ranging file compatibility (e.g. FLAC, AAC, MP3)
The most discerning customers know Naim as the brand that upgraded audio in their Bentley automobiles. Naim entered the wireless home audio streaming market with the Naim Mu-so, but is limited by its price at $1500. It recently followed up the Mu-so with the Mu-so Qb which is a more compact speaker priced at $1000. It’s for big spenders who love their audio in a small package. Pair the full size mu-so with the mu-so Qb and you can create your own concert hall in any room in your home.
I have a full review of both speakers coming up in the near future, and highly recommend both if you have the spare cash. I had a couple friends come over to my place, and they thought someone was actually playing the piano in my office. They were in complete shock when they saw it was just a wireless speaker playing on my desk.
Naim Mu-so – $1499 at Amazon
- Stream Music From Virtually Any Source in Stunning Sound with Naim Mu-so Wireless Music System: Apple AirPlay, Universal Plug ‘n’ Play, aptX Bluetooth, Spotify, Internet Radio, & Multi-Room Capability
- Award-Winning Naim Mu-so Delivers 450 Watts Through Six Amps and 32-Bit DSP Inspired from Bentley-Made Design: Also Features Touchscreen Volume Dial and Innovative App
- Six 75-Watt Amplifiers, 32-Bit DSP Deliver Audiophile-Quality Performance
- Looks As Good As It Sounds, Features Two-Patent Pending Designs
- Dimensions (HWD): 4.8″ x 24.7″ x 10.1″
Naim Mu-so Qb – $999 at Amazon
- 300 Watts of Power,
- Multi-Room Capability
- Streams 24-Bit/192kHz
- Plays Bluetooth aptX, TIDAL, Spotify, Apple AirPlay, More
- Measuring a petite 8.3 x 8.6 x 8.3 inches
Sonos makes a wide range of multi-room speakers and start at $199. The Sonos Play 5 is one of the best speakers at the $500 price point. It can also be matched up with the Play 3 and Play 1 for more versatility.
Sonos streams music from over 30 sources including TIDAL, Spotify, Apple Music, Stitcher and Slacker Radio. All you need to do is connect the speakers to your home network and start jamming to your favorite tunes.
Sonos Play 5 – $499 at Amazon, Best Buy
- Six smartly synchronized drivers deliver the purest, deepest, most vibrant sound.
- Trueplay tuning delivers sound that’s true to the music and right for the room.
- Uses your Wi-Fi to wirelessly stream the music you love, including Amazon Prime Music
- Control all your music and streaming services from a single app (on your smartphone, tablet or computer).
- Audio line-in auto-detecting 3.5mm audio line-in connection.
- Two custom-designed drivers with dedicated amplifiers.
- Trueplay tuning delivers sound that’s true to the music and right for the room.
- Control all your music and streaming services, including Prime Music, from a single app.
- Uses your WiFi for easy set up. Expand your system over time.
- Designed to withstand high-humidity.
Josh Noriega, our resident audiophile said, “Bose just cares about quality of sound. They don’t list specs.” This has been true of Bose, and almost all of its customers love its speakers and headphones universally.
Bose SoundTouch 30 Series III – $499 at Amazon, Best Buy
- The best-performing one-piece wireless music system from Bose
- Works with your home Wi-Fi network and Bluetooth devices so you can play almost anything you can imagine.
- One-touch access to music services (Spotify, Pandora), Internet radio and music library playlists with six personalized presets
- Powerful control with the SoundTouch app for your smartphone or tablet
Fluance is a lesser known brand, but its wireless system is sophisticated at a competitive price. Fluance offers a lifetime guarantee on all of its products, with a free 30-day in home trial and lifetime customer support as well.
Fluance Fi70 – $499.99 at Amazon
- Bring the concert hall into your home with high fidelity sound perfected by your favorite artist and performed flawlessly by the Fi70
- Powerful integrated amplifier and six speaker configuration including dual 8″ subwoofers reignites the loudness of your favorite songs with full, rich audio unlike anything you’ve ever heard before
- Exquisitely commanding cabinet design is hand crafted with audio grade wood, separate enclosures and a thick front baffle to perfect the reproduction of your favorite music
- Wirelessly stream music instantly from Spotify, Pandora, iTunes or your own music library for room filling, concert-like sound; AptX enhanced Bluetooth audio technology ensures powerful and well defined sound
- Feature rich extras include AM/FM radio, adjustable EQ, touch controls, audio input, digital optical input, LED display, alarm clock, and USB port for charging your devices
Devialet Silver Phantom – $2390 at Amazon, MoMa
The Devialet Phantom has an incredible 3000 watts of power, but is also beautiful enough to be sold by the Museum of Modern Art (MoMa) in New York.
For the past year, audiophiles and tech enthusiasts have anxiously awaited the arrival of the Phantom—a compact, wireless speaker with a sound that has the power, depth and clarity of a system ten times its size. Conceived and manufactured in France by the audio hardware startup Devialet, this revolutionary device broadcasts music wirelessly from your phone, computer or tablet and produces surround sound without the need of additional components. Capable of achieving remarkable sharpness and range, without any distortion saturation or background noise, the Wifi and Bluetooth-capable speaker is based on a proprietary hybrid of analog and digital technology that delivers the ultimate auditory experience. It’s roughly the size of a basketball, with a look as futuristic as a space capsule, and remains perfectly still even when pumping out the loudest bass notes.
- Phantom emits an ultra-dense sound with physical impact No distortion no saturation no background noise from 16hz to 25khz
- Phantom replaces all existing systems Use one phantom as the best dock in the world Use two phantom as the best hifi system in the world Use three phantom or more to create the ultimate multi-room system
- Phantom plays all your music through wireless through Bluetooth or Wi-Fi
B&O PLAY by BANG & OLUFSEN – BeoPlay A6 Music System – $999.99 at Amazon
- A premium, one-point music system designed to fill the entire room with wide-staged sound. A6 is the evolution of the classic stereo and a true innovation in sound
- Hand-tuned to Bang & Olufsen’s acclaimed Signature Sound, which brings you music the way artists intended – authentic and clean
- A6 looks as good as it sounds, clad in beautiful wool-blend fabrics from high-end manufacturer Kvadrat
- Multi-room functionality allows you to connect multiple A6 units and/or Bang & Olufsen BeoLink enabled systems for stereo perspective
- Streams from Bluetooth, Air Play, DLNA, and Spotify Connect.