Tax season is upon us, and this year not only did we get an extra day with Leap Year, but we are also getting extra time to file our taxes. Taxes are normally due on April 15th, except this year it falls on Emancipation Day, one of our most important historical moments in the history of the United States. That means we get until Monday, April 18th this year to file.
Emancipation Day – On that day in 1862, President Abraham Lincoln signed the District of Columbia Compensated Emancipation Act (an act of Compensated emancipation) for the release of certain persons held to service or labor in the District of Columbia. The Act freed about 3,100 enslaved persons in the District of Columbia nine months before President Lincoln issued his broader Emancipation Proclamation. The District of Columbia Compensated Emancipation Act represents the only example of compensation by the federal government to former owners of emancipated slaves.
Roughly 33% of Americans will wait until the last minute to file taxes, which is why I have gathered a few helpful Android apps to help you. These apps are available in the Google Play Store for free, and can be downloaded for your tablets and smartphones (click on the name of the app to take you to the app). Make sure you file on time, you don’t want added penalties on top of what you have paid already.
- IRS2Go is the official app of the Internal Revenue Service.
- Check your refund status
- Make a payment
- Find free tax preparation assistance
- Available in Spanish and English
- Take a picture of your W-2 and the app will import the details
- Multi-level security
- Switch between your app and computer
- Live status updates of your IRS approval process
- Full return history for as long as you use H&R Block
- Take a photo of your W-2 to import all of your information
- Multi-level encryption and security
- Simple interface removes complexities from tax filing
- Speak with an expert from within the app
- Fast return available with e-file
- Start for free, and pay upon filing
• Secure access anywhere, anytime from any device browser at www.taxact.com
• Notification when the IRS & state have processed your returns
• Tracks the status of your IRS refund
• Extensions filed free (IRS Form 4868)
• Free, one-on-one tax help if you need it
• Guaranteed x 3 – maximum IRS refund, accuracy & satisfaction