Welcome to In Brief, our periodic podcast which aims to provide you with all of the important things happening in the world of Android.
In this episode, we discuss how YouTube Music will incorporate some of our favorite features from Google Play Music, how Google is winning the smart speaker race, and some features announced at Google I/O that are rolling out now.
- YouTube Music will eventually get Google Play Music’s best features, including user uploads
- Google beats Amazon to first place in smart speaker market
- New Google Lens Features From Google I/O are Rolling Out!
It’s our goal to keep these podcasts short but there’s a reason we call it “The 15-minute podcast that’s never 15 minutes”. We hope you enjoy the show!
Other news worth knowing
- Huawei is dropping its bootloader unlock program. The company had previously given users an official way to unlock their bootloaders which allowed them to flash custom ROMs. Now, Huawei is alerting owners that the service will no longer be available for devices made after 5/25/18 and devices made before that date will only have 60 days to use the service or lose the opportunity forever. Huawei reached out with the following comment:
- “In order to deliver the best user experience and prevent users from experiencing possible issues that could arise from ROM flashing, including system failure, stuttering, worsened battery performance, and risk of data being compromised, Huawei will cease providing bootloader unlock codes for devices launched after May 25, 2018. For devices launched prior to the aforementioned date, the termination of the bootloader code application service will come into effect 60 days after today’s announcement. Moving forward, Huawei remains committed to providing quality services and experiences to its customers. Thank you for your continued support.”
- Pornhub has launched VPNHub, its own VPN service. The service is available for free via Android, iOS, MacOS, and Windows. The free version serves up ads, while a premium version gets rid of the ads and promises faster speeds. The premium service will cost between $12 and $14 a month.
- A recent update to Opera for Android brings about the introduction of themes. Users can now browse in style with the ability to tweak the color theme and join the dark side, or the light — or just go with the standard Opera red. Look for the new themes in Settings.
We’re currently beta testing this podcast and doing it in the real world. We’ll iterate and improve and be on track with the formal numbering convention in no time!
Subscribe to the AndroidGuys Audio Experience!
You can download or subscribe to the podcasts wherever you normally find your favorite shows. For your convenience, you can also click the links below.
Google Play Music | Simplecast | iTunes | Spotify* | Stitcher | Pocket Casts
For questions, concerns, or general feedback about the podcast feel free to contact us at podcast [at] androidguys.com.