Amazon has announced that a new firmware updates is available for their Android-powered Kindle Fire. If you’re among one of the millions of users who own one of these tablets then you’d be wise to check out the update.
There’s quite a bit of detail for the update however we’re not going to break everything down. Should you want to read the full list of updates then that’s but a link away!
- Sharing: Customers will be able to easily share favorite passages and notes from their books directly from Kindle Fire, without even leaving the book.
- Book Extras: Book Extras make it easy for customers to see supplemental material about the book they are reading, without even leaving the book. Customers can view descriptions of characters, a glossary of common terms used in the book, information on the authors and common locations referenced in the book, and more.
- Archive of Personal Documents: Customers’ personal documents will be stored in the Amazon Cloud and available for re-download at any time from the Documents tab on Kindle Fire.
- Print Replica Textbooks: Students can buy thousands of print replica textbooks to read on their Kindle Fire and save up to 60% off the list price of the print textbook.
- Reading View for Amazon Silk: When invoked by the customer, Silk will load the body of the page in a reading-optimized, single screen view (even for multi-page articles). The full page is still available in the background, allowing the reader to easily toggle back to a traditional view to see other interesting features on the page.
- Movie Rentals: The rental period for movie rentals that are downloaded to Kindle Fire now starts when a customer starts watching the movie, rather than when a customer starts downloading the movie.
- Additional Enhancements: This update will also bring some of the features customers have requested, including faster re-connect of Wi-Fi after Kindle Fire has been asleep, and general performance enhancements.
If you don’t know what version of software your Kindle Fire is running you can quickly find out by going to Quick Settings>More>Device>. If you see “Current version: 6.3,” then you are golden, Pony Boy. If not, then all you have to do is connect to a Wi-Fi network with a fully charged battery. Tap Sync from this screen and everything else takes care of itself.