Amazon released a slew of updates to its Fire phone and it is for both the unlocked and AT&T models. The AT&T Fire phone will upgrade to software version 3.6.5 and the unlocked GSM model moves to 3.6.8. The Fire phone should update on its own when you are connected wirelessly. But if some reason you aren’t wireless, you can upgrade the phone with a USB cable by transferring the software from your computer. The Fire phone has gotten off to a slow start in sales, but with the recent price drop to $199.99 on Black Friday, I am sure this update will apply to quite a few phones.
Here is a list of the updates from Amazon.com.
Fire OS 3.6.5 (125013320)
The software version includes new and enhanced features:
- Translate text and identify famous artwork with FireflyText translation from/to: English, French, German, Italian, and Spanish, and artwork recognition for 2,000 famous paintings with info available from Wikipedia. To learn how to use Firefly, go toIdentify Movies, Music, Products & More with Firefly.
- Take the perfect picture with Best ShotSee three versions of a given photo to choose the perfect shot. To learn how to use Best Shot, go to Take Photos & Personal Videos.
- Enable or disable SMS / MMS settingsYou can now turn character counts and MMS on or off. To learn about SMS/MMS, go toMessaging.
- Select additional keyboard languagesChoose from seven preloaded keyboard languages and 49 additional keyboard languages to download. To learn how to download a keyboard, go to Customize Your Language & Keyboard.
- Block unwanted phone numbersDecline unwanted calls from any given contact. To learn how to block phone calls, go to Review Your Call History.
- Add custom ringtones to your phoneAdd custom ringtones from the Amazon Appstore to your Fire phone. To learn more, go to Manage Ringtones & Notifications.
- View more information from the lock screenControl music directly from the lock screen, and configure your phone to wake up when a new notification arrives. To learn about the lock screen, go to Customize the Lock Screen.
- Write and edit documents with WPS OfficeEdit documents using the new, preloaded WPS Office app. To learn more, go to Docs.
- Connect to a virtual private network (VPN) at workConnect to a secure, corporate VPN from your Fire using the native IPSec / L2TP VPN client to stay productive while on the go. To learn how to use the VPN feature, go to Set Up a VPN.
- Sync calendars across Amazon devices registered to your Amazon accountCreate appointments that are automatically synced across supported Fire phones and Fire tablets registered to your Amazon account with Amazon Cloud Calendar. To learn how to use Amazon Cloud Calendar, go to Calendar.
- Read your Kindle books in one continuous scrollRead and scroll through Kindle books without ever having to touch the screen. To learn how to use Auto-Scroll, go to One-Handed Shortcuts.
- Improved battery lifeDozens of systems updates for enhanced battery performance.
- Bug fixes and user interface improvementsHundreds of other bug fixes and user interface improvements.
Fire OS 3.6.8 (128003620)
Source – Amazon