Super popular media player Winamp has arrived on Android today. I can’t tell you how happy that sentence makes me to type. I’ve been using Winamp for my music collection since my Napster days back in 1999. Available directly from the Android Market, the free media application is in beta form which means they’ll want your feedback on how to tweak, fix, and generally improve things. The chatter I am hearing this morning tells me that a lot of you seem to like the app and even think it’s ready for prime time.
If you’re using the beta Winamp player for your desktop (v5.59), you’ll be pleased to learn that they offer wireless desktop sync with your handset! Winamp desktop application (Winamp 5.59 beta required). Now here’s the rub. Winamp for Android does require 2.1 handsets and above. We know that leaves a sizable amount of you guys off the table and we empathize with you.
List of features found after the jump!
Features in Winamp beta for Android:
- Mobilize Your Library – A complete Android media management solution, that seamlessly syncs with your Winamp desktop library (USB or Wi-Fi).
- Wireless Desktop Sync – No need to tie your Android phone down. Enable Wi-Fi sync and leave your cable behind (Winamp 5.59 beta required).
- Persistent Player Controls – Quickly pause, change tracks, manage your play queue, see what’s playing and access the Winamp home screen.
- Play Queue Management – The play queue is a temporary track listing that allows you to easily select and sort tracks. And if you like, save it as a playlist.
- Widget Players & Shortcuts – Add playlist shortcuts and the widget player to the Android home screen. As well as enable playback control from the lock-screen.
- Now Playing – Displays song info, album art and more. Press and hold on the song info to interact with other apps like Pandora, YouTube and the Amazon MP3 Store.
- Scrobbling – Supports scrobbling with the Last.fm app installed (on your Android device). Capturing all of your mobile listening history in real time.