Google is making it easier than ever for businesses and customers to connect with each other. The company is creating a new tool that connects advertisers with customers over SMS through Google search ads.
The Ad Campaign
The new ads will center around message extensions. A message extension lets people view an ad, click on it, then lets you directly contact the business with a text. Depending on the ad, you can book an appointment, get a quote, ask for more information, request a service, and more.
These message extensions rely on SMS in order to work, so this means that the new tool will only work with mobile ads. The next time you search Google for something like “hotels in New York” you’ll see a message icon as part of the ad that invites you to directly message the business, similar to Facebook’s work with businesses in Messenger.
This latest move is part of Google’s mobile-first strategy. Multiple products, from Android Instant Apps, Google Assistant and even the new Google logo revolves around making it easier for mobile users to use Google’s services.
If it’s easier for businesses to connect with customers, the companies will likely continue using whatever medium made this possible. In this case, Google is once again wielding its might in the advertising arena. This can only be taken as a direct shot to the likes of Facebook and Pinterest. Even Twitter has started revamping its ad system.
How To Set It Up
If you’re a business owner wanting to use this new system, it’s easy to start using message extensions for your ads.
- Sign in to your AdWords account.
- Click the Campaigns or Ad group tab.
- Click the Ad extensions tab.
- Click the View menu, then select “Message extensions”.
- Click the Campaign or Ad group tab, then select the campaigns or ad groups you want to add the message extension to, and then click Done.
- At the bottom of the table, click + New Message.
- Enter the information for your message ads:
- Business name: The name of your business.
- Phone number: A phone number that’s capable of sending and receiving text messages.
- Extension text: The text that will go in your click-to-message ad.
- Message text: The message text automatically shows in people’s messaging apps when they tap to send you a message. (For example, the message text might be: “I’d like to know more. Please text me back.”)
- Click Advanced to restrict the message extension to certain dates or hours of the day.
- Click Save.