Instagram on Tuesday announced a brand new 6.0 release of its mobile apps, bringing many new photo editing options. Not new filters, mind you, but actual photo editing and retouching capabilities.
From brightening up a photo of your dinner party to better capturing the warmth of a sunset portrait, these new creative tools help you bring out and share the beauty of the moment as you remember it—right inside the same simple Instagram you already know.
Arriving in the Google Play Store and App Store today, the app now lets users brighten images, add vignettes, and adjust other settings. In other words, it features some of the very stuff we use other apps for before sharing to Instagram.
- Adjust: Crop and straighten your photo at the same time.
- Brightness: Makes your photo brighter or darker.
- Contrast: Makes the bright areas of your photo brighter, and the dark areas darker.
- Warmth: Shifts the colors of your photo toward either warmer orange tones or cooler blue tones.
- Saturation: Increases or decreases the color intensity of the image (e.g. red becomes redder).
- Highlights: Adjust the brightness focusing on the bright areas of the image.
- Shadows: Adjust the brightness focusing on the dark areas of the image.
- Vignette: Darkens the edges of the photo to direct the attention away from the edges and toward the center of the photo.
- Sharpen: Adds a subtle crispness to your photo and makes photo clearer.
- Filter Strength: Tap on a filter to adjust the filter strength. (Border is now within Filter Strength; tap on a filter to add a border).
- Each editing tool comes with a slider that allows you to adjust how much to apply each effect.
- Tap on your photo preview to compare your photo’s before and after effects.
[pb-app-box pname=’com.instagram.android’ name=’Instagram’ theme=’dark’ lang=’en’]