After what feels like months of rumors, LG on Tuesday officially announced the flagship G3 will arrive this summer. Hardware details should not come as much of a surprise if you’ve been following the space closely these last few weeks. Oh, but what hardware it is indeed.
Powered by Android 4.4.2 KitKat, the G3 boasts a 5.5-inch 1440×2560 pixel display and a 2.5GHz quad-core Snapdragon processor. Other details include 2GB/3GB RAM, 16GB/32GB internal storage configurations, and a 3000mAh battery.
In terms of cameras, the G3 features a 13-megapixel rear camera with optical image stabilization and laser-assisted autofocus. Around front you’ll find a 2.1-megapixel shooter. Connectivity comes via 4G LTE, WiFi, Bluetooth, NFC, DLNA, Miracast, and FM radio.
Moving over to software, LG has put a tremendous level of custom touches to the user experience. Picking up where its predecessor leaves off, the G3 includes:
- Smart Keyboard: Adaptive technology learns as you type for faster input with fewer mistakes.
- Smart Notice: Like a personal assistant, Smart Notice provides suggestions and recommendations based on user behavior, phone usage patterns and location to offer user information when it’s needed the most.
- Smart Security: Understanding the importance of maintaining and securing confidential data when smartphonesare shared, misplaced, lost or stolen, the LG G3 offers a number of enhanced security features such as:
- Knock Code™ enables users to unlock their device with a pattern of taps.
- Content Lock keeps personal files safe and hidden from view when sharing the LG G3 with friends.
- Kill Switch gives LG G3 owners the ability to disable their phones remotely in the event of theft.
LG will also be offering a collection of new premium accessories to accompany the LG G3:
- QuickCircle™ Case: Available in five colors, QuickCircleTM Case allows easy access to frequently used functions such as calling, text messaging, music and camera all from the QuickCircle window without opening the cover. In addition to the QuickCircleTM Case, LG will offer a lineup of Slim Guard Cases and premium Slim Hard Cases to protect the LG G3 in style.
- LG Tone Infinim™ (HBS-900): Developed in collaboration with Harman/Kardon, the Bluetooth stereo headset delivers premium audio quality sound in a stylish design. Built with retractable wire management technology and jog buttons for easy search, Tone Infinim also features Name AlertTM to verbally notify you who is calling before you answer.
- Wireless Charger: Compact and foldable, LG’s Wireless Charger is optimized for easy portability. Compatible with Qi’s wireless power charging technology, the Wireless Charger from LG makes staying powered up as convenient as possible.
The LG G3 will begin rolling out worldwide (starting on May 28 in South Korea) on over 170 carriers. The LG G3 will be sold in Metallic Black, Silk White, Shine Gold, Moon Violet and Burgundy Red color options. Exact availability and pricing will be announced by various carriers in the coming days and weeks. We do know for certain that it will “arrive on U.S. soil later this summer with T-Mobile, Sprint, AT&T, Verizon, Best Buy and Best Buy Mobile specialty stores.”