[df-subtitle]The flagship phone comes with leather, metal, and ceramic options[/df-subtitle]
As if we were to expect anything else out of LG today, the handset maker has officially unveiled its latest flagship smartphone, the G4. Featuring some of the latest and greatest in both hardware and software, the LG G4 is a premium phone to be sure.
Powered by Android 5.0 Lollipop with LG’s UX 4.0, the device boasts a 5.5-inch Quad HD IPS display, a Qualcomm Snapdragon 808 processor with 3GB RAM, and a removable 3000mAh battery.
In terms of cameras, the G4 packs a 16-megapixel shooter with a wide aperture of f/1.8, laser-assisted autofocus, optical image stabilization, and a color spectrum sensor. Able to shoot in RAW format, the camera can also capture video in 4K resolution.
Other details include a front-facing 8-megapixel camera, microSD expansion slot, and a modem capable of theoretical download speeds of 400Mbps.
The G4 is skinned with a “vegetable-tanned” leather however, LG will offer the device in other back cover options including “hammered metal” and “contoured ceramic.”
- Chipset: Qualcomm® Snapdragon™ 808 Processorwith X10 LTE
- Display: 5.5-inch Quad HD IPS Quantum Display (2560 x 1440, 538ppi)
- Memory: 32GB eMMC ROM, 3GB LPDDR3 RAM / microSD slot
- Camera: Rear 16MP with F1.8 Aperture / OIS 2.0 / Front 8MP
- Battery: 3,000mAh (removable)
- Operating System: Android 5.1 Lollipop
- Size: 148.9 x 76.1 x 6.3 – 9.8mm
- Weight: 155g
- Network: 4G / LTE / HSPA+ 21 Mbps (3G)
- Connectivity: Wi-Fi 802.11 a, b, g, n, ac / Bluetooth 4.1LE / NFC / USB 2.0
- Colors: [Ceramic] Metallic Gray / Ceramic White / Shiny Gold /
- [Genuine Leather] Black / Brown / Red / Sky Blue / Beige / Yellow
- Other: Manual Mode / Gesture Interval Shot / Quick Shot
LG UX 4.0 Features:
- Quick Shot allows customers to take pictures without opening the camera app by double tapping the phone’s Rear Key while the display is off. LG G4 also has an incredibly fast camera startup time of just six-tenths of a second.
- The new Gallery makes it extremely fast to scroll through thousands of pictures and view them on a timeline. The Memories feature automatically organizes photos and videos into event albums based on the time and place they were taken, without having to upload to the cloud.
- Event Pocket allows users to create one, unified calendar by dragging and dropping appointments and activities from multiple calendars and social media sites. After the initial setup, there’s no need to log into multiple calendars.
- The improved Smart Notice provides more personalized notifications for weather, travel and more by analyzing habits, such as how a user commutes to work. This allows Smart Notice to issue personalized messages such as, “Make sure to take an umbrella on your way to the subway.”
- Quick Help allows users to search for instant answers to any questions about operating the LG G4, right in the Smart Notice widget. Quick Help can guide users through the LG G4’s settings and even schedule a call with customer service.
UPDATE: Pricing and exact availability are not yet known; however, various carriers will likely offer up details shortly.
- Sprint was quick to announce the G4 for availability if June though it did not disclose pricing options. Sprint will offer the phone in metallic grey and black leather. Sprint
- T-Mobile plans to carry the G4 this “spring” but hasn’t announced colors or pricing. T-Mobile
- U.S. Cellular has also committed to a June launch but gave no hint of info beyond that.