[dropcaps]Microsoft is determined to stay relevant in a world that is run almost completely by Android and iOS devices, with over 96% of the mobile market under their combined belt. That unfortunately only leaves about 4% for Microsoft and other manufacturers. Well, Microsoft is not one throw the towel and give up, as today they have announced that they will be releasing some new tools and abilities that will help developers port over their existing apps for Android and iOS with as little work as possible.[/dropcaps]

Android developers will be given the ability to use Java and C++ code on Windows 10, so they won’t have to rewrite their entire apps code from the ground up to get it to work on Windows 10 and iOS developers will be able to continue to use their existing Objective-C code, so they will also be able to quickly port over their current apps. This is going to be great news for those that have been meaning to port over their current apps but have not been too keen about having to learn a new programming language or modify their code to0 much.

As a professional coder myself, I can tell you that it can be quite a pain having to port over code from one language to another. There are always syntax errors here or missing variables there. Just takes too much time resources.

While this idea, in theory, sounds like it could be a great boon for Windows, reality is that there will likely not be many devs that are going to want to make the move over, no matter how easy the move may be. With Android and iOS holding such a major share of the mobile market, it would make more sense for developers to instead focus on improving their apps on their current platform instead of wasting resources to port it over to Windows.

Of course, only time will tell as to whether or not these new implementations will help propel Microsoft to the big leagues with Android.

[spacer color=”264C84″ icon=”fa-star”]

Source: The Verge, Digital Trends 

Note: Select outbound links may include affiliate tracking codes and AndroidGuys may receive compensation for purchases. Read our policy. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Previous articleApp of the Day: Boldomatic
Next articleHTC debuts INK campaign for One M9
Juan is an avid Android enthusiast who loves anything technology oriented. He is thrilled to work with such a great team of people to help deliver the latest Android news and product reviews. When he is not scouring the internet for new post ideas, he is up late studying to finish his CS degree. Make sure to follow him to stay up to date on the latest Android news!


    • Hello Clamdigger63!

      I am sorry that you did not enjoy my post on Microsofts decision to assist developers in their porting of their apps to Windows 10. We strive for excellence here at AG and will always do our best to make our readers proud. Thank you for your creative criticism, as we always welcome all and any input from the community.



Comments are closed.