We can’t say we didn’t see this coming after being leaked a while ago, but the exact specifications and details remained a mystery until todays announcement.
LIBERTYVILLE, Ill. – Oct. 14, 2011 – Grab the popcorn, hit the lights and cuddle up on the couch with the new Motorola XOOM™ Family Edition, the HD tablet built for your entire family. Available exclusively through Best Buy starting October 16, the Android™ 3.1-powered Motorola XOOM Family Edition will entertain everyone in the house with TV shows, thousands of movies, and fun, educational games for kids of all ages. And with the award-winning Zoodles™ application, parents can rest easy knowing their kids are safe from inappropriate content. It’s an affordable way to bring everyone together into the twenty-first century.
To make a long story short, the Family Edition is essentially a rebranded XOOM with some added software features. It probably won’t take long before the first normal XOOMs are being transformed into Family Editions through custom ROMs.
One major improvement is the following: The Xoom Family Edition will be priced at a bargain price of $379 starting October 16th. I suggest that if you’re wanting to buy a cheap Android tablet with great value for price, you buy this bad boy. The full specsheet is included after the break.
- Runs on Android 3.1, built specifically for tablets
- 1GHz dual-core processor for lightning-fast responsiveness
- 10.1” HS IPS HD screen display with capacitive multi-touch
- 5MP back camera with flash, with 720p video webcam
- Preloaded with almost $40 worth of applications, plus Zoodles™, the award-winning Kid Mode application
- Preloaded with MotoPack by Motorola XOOM (App Downloader by Motorola)
- ·Preloaded with Quickoffice™ Pro HD for seamless productivity at work
- Preloaded with MotoPrint – the application that allows you to print straight from the Web browser
- Preloaded with fun games like Asphalt 6 from Gameloft and SIM City Deluxe
- 16GB built-in memory
- Battery lasts up to 10 hours for video playback and Web browsing
- Access to more than 250,000 apps in Android Market™
Want even more details? All the details you want and more is available in the press release. Just hit the source link and you’re good to go.
Source: Motorola Mobility