Location-based treasure hunters will be pleased to learn that the official Geocaching.com application has come to Android. Available for pretty much all Android phones (1.5+), the app provides direct access to geocaching.com, and lets users find nearby caches using a combination of GPS, WiFi, and cell tower triangulation. The $9.99 title has been very popular for the iPhone so we expect GPS and LBS hounds will gobble it up on Android. There’s a treasure trove (see what we did there?) of features in the Geocaching.com application. We’ll list them in nice, bullet point format after the jump! Click here to download and install Geocaching on your Android phone.
Instant, direct access to Geocaching.com’s database of worldwide geocaches
- Search by current location, address or GC code
- Filter your finds from the Geocaching.com search results
- Access geocache details, including description, photo gallery, attributes, recent logs, hint and inventory
- Look up Trackable details, including item goals, while on the trail
- Save geocache listings, including maps and photos, for quick retrieval and offline use
- Log geocache finds and post notes in the field
- Download active pocket queries for use while outside of network coverage
- View geocache web pages on Geocaching.com without leaving the application using embedded web browser
Advanced navigation capabilities
- View nearby caches on the embedded map
- View cache size, terrain and difficulty rating directly from the map screen
- Navigate to geocaches with a simulated compass arrow or directly from the map screen
- Add custom waypoints when navigating to multi-caches
- Switch between street and satellite maps
Geocaching.com, the world’s #1 location-based recreation portal, launches Geocaching for Android application
September 15, 2010 – Seattle, Wash. – Geocaching.com – the world’s most popular site for geocachers – today announced the release of its new Geocaching application for the Android device market. Based on the very successful Geocaching application for the iPhone, this application provides Android users with unparalleled access to the Geocaching.com database of more than 1.1 million geocaches worldwide.
Geocaching is a global game of hiding and seeking treasure and socializing online and in person. Anyone can hide a geocache – or treasure box – almost anywhere in the world, pinpoint its location using GPS technology, and then share the geocache’s existence and location online. Other geocachers obtain geocache coordinates at Geocaching.com or directly through a geocaching application, head outdoors, and use their GPS or GPS-enabled mobile device to find the hidden treasure. With more than 5 million high-tech treasure hunters in more than 150 countries, geocaching is the most popular location-based game on Earth.
“Our Geocaching iPhone application has been one of the top paid navigation applications for almost two years, and we’re very excited to present this game-changing application to Android users,” says Bryan Roth, one of the founders of Geocaching.com.
With the Android app’s instant, direct access to Geocaching.com, geocachers have a variety of features right at their fingertips. They can search for geocaches using their current location, address or GC reference code. They can also access geocache details, including description, attributes, pictures, recent logs, hints, terrain/difficulty ratings, and Trackable item inventory. Using the built-in search result display features, geocachers can easily identify potential geocaching adventures for any ability and fitness level.
The Geocaching application leverages the advanced navigation capabilities of the Android platform, allowing geocachers to view nearby caches on an embedded map, as well as switch between street and satellite maps. Coupled with the additional information accessible via the app, geocachers now have all the information they need to go geocaching using their Android device.
“We’re committed to delivering the best geocaching application for the Android platform, and are constantly working to add features and functions to further improve the application,” comments Roth. “Using a direct connection to our worldwide Geocaching database, our application delivers faster performance and provides more integrated functionality than any alternative application.”
The Geocaching Application is available for Android platforms 1.5 and higher.