For many of you, Pokemon Go is an annoyance you no longer want to hear about. For the others who are actually playing, there might be nothing more exciting than catching that extremely rare Pokemon.
While leaving work today, I saw several zombified Pokemon Go players walking through the parking lot without paying attention to their surroundings. I get it, the game is extremely addictive and fun. For that reason, I have many items that I think you should consider picking up in order to keep you going strong while staying safe.
Pokemon Go is extremely tough on battery life. If you want to keep your phone battery full, stick with a reputable external battery brand. You should also consider picking up two – the larger the battery the longer it takes to recharge.
Consider the size of your internal battery on your smartphone. A Samsung Galaxy S7 edge has an internal battery that is rated at 3600mAh, where an HTC 10 has a 3000mAh battery. If you only need enough power to get you one full recharge, consider sticking with an external battery smaller than 5000mAh so you’re not lugging around extra weight. If you’re an all day Pokemon Go player, you will need a battery over 10000mAh so you can get at least 2-3 full cycles on external power.
Here are a few of my favorite external batteries in a range of sizes and prices.
Anker PowerCore mini Ultra-Compact Portable Phone Charger External Battery – $13.99 at Amazon
Anker makes fantastic third party accessories. If you want to avoid extra weight with large external batteries, this little guy should get most phones one full charge. I keep one of these on me when I have a busy day outside of the office, as it is light weight and portable.
Lumsing Portable Charger Power Bank for Smartphones 6000mAh – $8.99 at Amazon
I am a huge fan of Lumsing. It makes simple batteries that are priced for any budget. I’ve reviewed several and while they may lack some of the latest features, they make up for it with simplicity and reliability.
- FAST BATTERY CHARGER: Our advanced technology delivers the fastest possible charge up to 2.4 amps.
- HIGH COMPATIBILITY POWER BANK: This 6000mAh high-capacity Battery Charger with dual USB ports (5V 1A&5V 2.1A) can simultaneously charge your iPhone, iPad, and any other Android devices.
- PORTABLE TRAVEL CHARGER: With the compact dimension of 4.8×2.6×0.5 inches, this ultra-thin power bank is ideal for long flights, road trips and outdoor activities.
Tronsmart Presto 12000mAh USB Type-C External Battery Power Bank with Quick Charge 3.0 Technology – $34.99 at Amazon
I’ve been using this powerhouse for the past two weeks, and Tronsmart never fails to impress. It is a brand that is Qualcomm certified to work with all of your devices. If your smartphone has USB type-C, you can trust this is the best external battery bank for your money right now. It has Qualcomm Quick Charge 3.0 technology with a USB A and C output port for your Nexus 6P, LG G5, Samsung Galaxy S7 edge, and just about every other phone on the market.
- Qualcomm Quick Charge 3.0: Up to 4x faster than standard chargers, able to charge compatible devices to 80% in just 35 minutes. Backwards compatible with all versions of Qualcomm Quick Charge.
- Type-C Input and Output:Use it to quickly recharge the 12000mah external battery, or to power your Nexus 6p/5x with USB-C/Type-C ports.
- Remarkably Compact: Much smaller than other high-capacity portable chargers. No other charger packs this many recharges at such high speed into such a small space.
EasyAcc Monster 20000mAh Power Bank – $32.99 at Amazon
There aren’t many batteries bigger than this beast from EasyAcc. EasyAcc is also another trusted brand here at AndroidGuys, and this monster can charge up to four devices at the same time. 20000mAh is heavy to carry, so make sure you need this much capacity before you commit to a purchase. This battery is also perfect for extended trips away from home like summer vacations or camping trips.
- 20000mAh High Capacity: Charge an iPhone 6 7.5 times, a Samsung S6 5 times or an iPad Mini 3 2 times.
- Life Saver: Unique 4A Dual ports input (charger adapter not included), can be superfast recharged in 6 hours, reduce the recharging time up to 50% than usual 20000mah battery.
- Fast Charging: 4.8A Output with 4 USB Ports. Auto detects and changes its charging speed unique to your device for fastest charging speed up to 2.4A (2 times faster than a computer USB port). Charging 4 devices simultaneously.
EC Technology Portable Charger 22400mAh External Battery Power Bank – $32.99 at Amazon
I said with the last battery that there aren’t many power banks larger than 20000mAh, but this one from EC Technology is bigger at 22400mAh. So if you need a little extra juice, opt for this one.
- 2nd Gen 22400mAh External Battery with higher efficiency rate delivers its fastest possible current. Portable size at 6.2 x 3.1 x 0.8 inch, 0.99lb.
- Rapid input charging: DC 5V 2A input (2A charger not included), twice as fast as normal 5V 1A input power banks, saving 50% of your time.
- 4 Integrated LED indicators show Power status. Built-in 3-modes LED flashlight makes it easier in the dark: SOS/bright/average modes.
Accessories for staying safe
This is actually my least favorite part of this post as I nagging people to stay safe. But with extreme heat, and zombification, there are things you should consider.
LED Sports Armband Flashing Safety Light – 2 pack for $6-8 at Amazon
When you are walking around public places, it can be easy to not pay attention to your surroundings. When it is dark, throw one of these light bands on. They’re designed for runners who run at night, and that should mean they will help Pokemon Go players notify automobiles around them of their location.
PREMIUM Safety Shoe Lights by M2 Sports – $10.95 at Amazon
Along the lines of the item above, this light sticks to your shoe and helps people and cars identify you a little easier. If you don’t want to wear a light around your arm, at least throw one of these lights on your shoes. $11 is a cheap price for safety.
Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry-Touch Sunscreen Broad Spectrum SPF 45, 3 Fl. Oz, Pack of 2 – $11.99 at Amazon
Sun damage to your skin is not only unappealing, but it is dangerous. Skin cancer prevention starts with sunblock, and with extended hours in the hottest sun of the year, you need to apply sunblock. Remember to reapply regularly and stick with a well known brand like Neutrogena.
- Two 3-fluid ounce bottles of sunscreen lotion
- Broad Spectrum SPF 45 helps prevent sunburn
- HELIOPLEX Broad Spectrum UVA/UVB protection
- Dry-Touch technology for an ultra-light, shine-free finish
- #1 dermatologist-recommended suncare brand
Ergodyne Chill-Its® 6602 Evaporative Cooling Towel – $7.22 at Amazon
Heat stroke is real and it is dangerous. We are in the middle of an extreme heat wave across the country and it is still only July. August is on the horizon and it will only get hotter from here on out so stay cool with the Chill Its evaporative cooling towel. It helps you fight off fatigue and is machine washable too.
Fitbit Alta Fitness Tracker – $119.99 at Amazon
While you’re out and about, you might as well track your activity level. I just picked up one of these Fitbit Altas and can tell you that it is really comfortable. I barely notice that it is on my wrist, and it will show your notifications from your smartphone allowing you to go uninterrupted during your Pokemon Go session.
- Track steps, distance, calories burned and active minutes
- See stats and time with a bright OLED tap display
- Automatically track how long and how well you sleep, and set a silent, vibrating alarm
- Personalize with interchangeable metal, leather and classic bands (sold separately)
- Get call, text and calendar notifications at a glance (when phone is nearby)