Some apps that exist on the Google Play Store still require root privileges given how Android is designed, and as such sometimes it’s necessary to get root on your device in order to run such applications. The package that is used to obtain these escalated permissions comes courtesy of Chainfire which is a small package that is loaded into Odin and sent to your device to obtain root.
Using this root increases your flash counter and does trip the KNOX flag to void the warranty, so use at your own risk.
First, if you haven’t already got the USB PC drivers for your Samsung device, then head to this link to download them.
The version of CF-Auto-Root that you’ll need will depend on what version of Galaxy Note 4 you have, so be sure to download the correct version from the list below:
SM-N910F (International, Qualcomm): CF-Auto-Root-trlte-trltexx-smn910f.zip
SM-N910T (T-Mobile USA, Qualcomm): CF-Auto-Root-trltetmo-trltetmo-smn910t.zip
SM-N910P (Sprint, Qualcomm): CF-Auto-Root-trltespr-trltespr-smn910p.zip
SM-N910R4 (US Cellular, Qualcomm): CF-Auto-Root-trlteusc-trlteusc-smn910r4.zip
SM-N910W8 (Canadia, Qualcomm): CF-Auto-Root-trltecan-trltecan-smn910w8.zip
SM-N910K (Korea, Exynos): CF-Auto-Root-treltektt-treltektt-smn910k.zip
SM-N910L (Korea, Exynos): CF-Auto-Root-treltelgt-treltelgt-smn910l.zip
SM-N910S (Korea, Exynos): CF-Auto-Root-trelteskt-trelteskt-smn910s.zip
SM-N9100 (China, Qualcomm): CF-Auto-Root-trltechn-trlteduoszc-smn9100.zip
SM-N9106W (China, Qualcomm): CF-Auto-Root-trltechn-trlteduoszn-smn9106w.zip
SM-N9108V (China, Qualcomm): CF-Auto-Root-trltechn-trltezm-smn9108v.zip
SM-N9109W (China, Qualcomm): CF-Auto-Root-trltechn-trlteduosctc-smn9109w.zip
Once that’s downloaded, head on to the instructions below to Root your Note 4.
Instructions to Root the Note 4
– Download and unzip the CF-Auto-Root-….zip file
– If you end up with a recovery.img and cache.img file, you’ve extracted twice. You need to end up with a .tar.md5 file – don’t extract that one
– (USB) Disconnect your phone from your computer
– Start Odin3-vX.X.exe
– Click the PDA button, and select CF-Auto-Root-….tar.md5
– Put your phone in download mode (turn off phone, then hold VolDown+Home+Power to boot – if it asks you to press a button to continue, press the listed button).
– (USB) Connect the phone to your computer
– Make sure Repartition is NOT checked
– Click the Start button
– Wait for Android to boot
You should now see SuperSU installed in your app launcher and able to grant any apps that require root the appropriate permissions.