A Galaxy S6 Edge+ user found his phone on fire, with its internals melting shortly after unplugging it from the charger. He removed it from the outlet after noticing the phone was overheating while still on the charger.

Devices catching on fire, or overheating to the point where its internals are melting, is no regular occurrence. Issues like this can still arise nonetheless, regardless of how careful a user is. For example, in 2014, a girl’s Galaxy S4 overheated and woke her up with noxious fumes.

Most are probably wondering if he was using an OEM charger or a third-party one. According to this user, he was using the official Galaxy S6 Edge+ charger. Nevertheless, overheating still occurred.

While it is very possible the device burned up with no fault to the customer, we don’t know what is true and what isn’t. He could’ve left it charging too long before removing it from the charger. He may have left the device sitting directly in the sun. He could’ve done so many things that the device just couldn’t handle.

At the time of writing, there is no response from Samsung. Let’s just hope that the user gets either a replacement device or his money back.

Owners of Galaxy devices might be looking at their phones in horror, but it’s highly rare for such an issue to occur. Mistakes in a collection of lord knows how many phones are likely to happen. Just make sure to use your official chargers and keep it out of direct sunlight for long periods of time.

Note: Select outbound links may include affiliate tracking codes and AndroidGuys may receive compensation for purchases. Read our policy. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

3 COMMENTS

  1. How in the world do you think sunlight could lead to this behavior (you mentioned this twice in your article)??
    And secondly, are you really suggesting that “charging too long” would be a negligent conduct? (What would you consider to be “too long” in this regard??)
    Do you have any technical explanation for the above indications?

    • Hi. Having a device directly in the sun increases the amount of heat it is being exposed to. For example, using my phone while walking home, the device gets unbearably hot. This could cause some serious damage. And yes, overcharging is an uncommon cause of heating, but it is very possible. As for a time frame, it depends on your device.

  2. Maybe good idee to measure other phone charging for his heatsingnature and compare this with the burns on this one to figure out if it’s the processor or the battery heating up.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.