We are now 24 days away from Star Wars: The Force Awakens, and Google is jumping in on all the craze. If you navigate to Google.com/StarWars, you’ll be given two choices, the Light Side or the Dark Side. Once you’ve selected which side of the force your loyalties lie, all of your Google associated applications will be themed.
Google is really going all in here, with a promise for more goodies to follow, but it’s awesome to see everything you use in the world of Google, getting themed. The following applications and services will be themed depending upon which side you choose:
- Android Wear – Get the Star Wars app and you’ll get an awesome watch face.
- Google Calendar – Star Wars events will appear on your calendar.
- Google Chrome – Through the installation of an extension, you will see images from Star Wars: The Force Within every time you open a new tab.
- Chromecast – Get an awesome Star Wars themed background.
- Gmail – The entire Gmail application will be themed, including a lightsaber loading screen.
- Inbox for Gmail -The entire Gmail application will be themed, including a lightsaber loading screen.
- Google Maps – Easily locate where you are at with an X-Wing or TIE Fighter symbol.
- Google Search – Too early to tell
- Google Translate – Too early to tell
- Waze – C-3PO will now be your voice guidance for your travels.
- YouTube – Your progress bar for videos will now be in the form of a lightsaber.
What makes this even more awesome is that once the Force has been chosen, all of your Google products will be themed within a few hours. That includes your mobile applications, and even if you’re on iOS. This is a great move for Google, and an even better way for MORE Star Wars advertising to get out there, not like we really need anymore (just kidding).
If you’ve been corrupted and want to change sides, Google has made it really easy to betray your fellow members of the Force. Just head back to Google.com/StarWars, and you can change to whichever side you’d like. For those who are in another galaxy, you can opt back out of these awesome goodies but going to the Star Wars page, and selecting the middle option, which will remove everything.
As someone who LOVES Star Wars, and can’t wait for The Force Awakens, this an awesome addition to my Google arsenal, and one that I actually hope sticks around even after the movie is already out. In the meantime, drop us a line and let us know which side of the Force you’ve chosen.