Virgin has debuted their new Red® entertainment system based on Android. Flyers will be able to order food and drinks, enjoy music, movies, Tv shows, and games, chat with other passengers, and even order a fellow traveler a drink, all on demand. They have also teamed up with California based company Dysonics, making Virgin the first airline to bring surround sound technology to the skies.
New features of the new Virgin Airlines Red infotainment system include:
- New capacitive touch screens (with pinch and swipe functionality)
- More storage capacity allowing the platform to host three times as much content – including full seasons of popular shows
- Better, more interactive games – including retro favorites like Atari’s Asteroids and Pac-Man
- Enhanced, more interactive maps
- A first-in-the-sky “surround-sound” listening experience on select content
The new Red Beta is slated to be outfitted on 18 aircraft by the end of 2015 and will continue to roll out to the rest of their fleet in 2016.