Now in its eighth iteration, the Samsung Galaxy S series is better than ever. It’s not only more powerful and sleek, but it’s bigger, too. Indeed, the Galaxy S8 comes with a 5.8-inch screen while the S8 Plus packs a massive 6.2-inch display. Not that you’d notice, though, as they 18.5:9 aspect ratio makes it much more comfortable in hand than predecessors.
Samsung has opted for the curved screen on both versions of the phone which signals the company may have done away with the “Edge” variants of devices. Time will tell, however, but we suspect this could be the norm for its flagship phones going forward.
Powered by Android 7.0 Nougat, the Galaxy S8 and Galaxy S8 Plus feature Samsung’s custom UI. Making its debut in the new generation is Bixby, Samsung’s new virtual assistant. As you might expect, it allows for voice commands and marries itself nicely with other Samsung apps and features. It’s not fully available for the US market just yet (Spring 2017), but, once it rolls out, it will give Samsung users one more reason to stay inside of its ecosystem. Apple has Siri, Google has Assistant, and Samsung has Bixby.
Key hardware in the Galaxy S8 and Galaxy S8 Plus include a Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 processor, 4GB RAM, and 64GB of internal storage. Camera, which are better than ever, are 12-megapixels around back with an 8-megapixel front-facing shooter. Battery capacity for the S8 is 3,000mAh while the S8 Plus gets a 3,500mAh power supply.
The S8 line is IP68 rated against water and dust and is available in a variety of colors. New for this generation of Galaxy S phones is the Samsung DeX dock which essentially lets use use your phone to power a desktop computer. As you might expect, the S8 is compatible with the new Gear VR headset, too.
The Samsung Galaxy S8 and Samsung Galaxy S8 Plus go official with a brand new Infinity Display and 64GB of Storage
The Samsung Galaxy S8 Plus: So much to love, but not without its flaws
When and Where to Buy: Samsung Galaxy S8
Tip: How to speed up your Samsung Galaxy S8
How to SIM unlock the Samsung Galaxy S8 and Galaxy S8 Plus
- Processor: Qualcomm Snapdragon 835, octa-core (4 x 2.35GHz + 4 x 1.9GHz)
- RAM: 4 GB
- Storage: 64GB base, expandable through microSD (256GB max)
- Display: 6.2-inch, dual-curved AMOLED, 2960 x 1440p (570 PPI)
- Battery: 3500mAh non-removable
- Camera: 12MP, f/1.7 main camera, 8MP f/1.7 font-facing camera
- Operating System: Android 7.0 Nougat
- Dimensions: 6.28 x 2.89 x 0.32 inches
- Weight: 173 g
- Other key features: IP68 certified, USB type-C, Bluetooth 5.0, Fast Charging (QuickCharge 2.0), Wireless Charging, Fast Wireless Charging, Bixby Voice Assistant, Iris Scanner