The LG G6 is truly a beautiful device and undeniably one of the best phones on the market right now. The redesigned body is not only gorgeous to the eye but a joy to hold as well. The (almost) all glass phone feels as premium as anything out there right now and is well worth the asking price. You can even find it as low as $500 at some carriers only a few months after its release! That’s crazy!
My favorite feature of the G6 has to be that display. Yeah, it’s not AMOLED but man is it pretty. The colors look great and it gets SO bright. The new 18:9 aspect ratio means that it’s twice as tall as it is wide and that gives you a lot more space on the display. It also feels a lot easier to hold since the display is so skinny. When you combine that awesome display with expandable storage, dual-cameras, wireless charging, and a huge battery, you have a recipe for success.
You could say that I’m a fan. But, if you’re reading this article, you probably are too and you came here to find out how to unlock the thing, right?
We’re going to walk you through a couple of options how to SIM unlock the LG G6 in a few easy steps. First off, you can go through your carrier. If your account is in good standing, your device is paid off, and you’ve had the device on your account for a set number of days (varies by carrier) then you can request an unlock code. But, if you’re like most Americans and you bought your G6 on a payment plan through your carrier, you won’t qualify for that and you’ll need to go through a third-party unlocking service like Android SIM Unlock.
So, how exactly do you get your phone unlocked? Here are the steps we’ll need to take for both methods.
Get your IMEI Number
Before you do anything else, you need your IMEI number. IMEI stands for International Mobile Equipment Identifier and it’s the unique code for every device to identify it to carriers for access on their networks. Here’s how you get your IMEI number:
- Open the phone application
- Dial *#06#
- Your phone’s IMEI will pop up on the display
- Write it down in a document on your computer or a piece of paper nearby
Earlier in the article, we talked about the requirements to get your free SIM unlock. If you’re unsure if you qualify, give your carrier a call and ask. The worst they can tell you is no and all you’ve lost is time. If you do qualify, wonderful! Here are the steps to unlocking your device with an unlock code provided by your carrier:
- Call your carrier customer service (normally you just dial 611 and hit send!)
- Request an unlock code
- Provide the IMEI number you wrote down earlier
- Your unlock code will be sent to you and should arrive within 5 days
- Replace the SIM card in your phone with one from another carrier
- Enter the unlock code when the prompt comes up
When you get your unlock code, grab a piece of paper and write it down. While these steps are easy, you don’t want to be left trying to pull that information out of a document you have saved in the cloud when you have no service and no WiFi connections. Just do it the old fashion way.
If you don’t qualify for a free SIM unlock from your carrier, you still have options! You can buy a cheap unlock code from a third-party unlocker like Android SIM Unlock. This method will work for carriers besides T-Mobile and MetroPCS, so if you have service through them, we’ll have special instructions below for you.
- Visit Android SIM Unlock or a similar unlocking site and enter the IMEI you wrote down earlier
- Complete the checkout process
- Your unlock code will arrive in your email in about an hour, but most of the time sooner than that
- Put a SIM card from another carrier in your LG G6
- Enter the unlock code in the prompt that appears on screen
T-Mobile and MetroPCS Unlocking Process
T-Mobile and MetroPCS, as we mentioned above, has its own unlocking app. Even if you don’t qualify for a free unlock, you can still unlock your device using the T-Mobile or MetroPCS Device unlock apps. Here’s how you’ll go about it:
- Visit Android SIM Unlock or a similar service and select the T-Mobile Device Unlock or MetroPCS Device Unlock option
- Enter your IMEI number
- Complete the checkout process
- You’ll receive your unlock confirmation email in 1 – 3 days
- Open the T-Mobile Device Unlock or MetroPCS Device unlock app
- Press Continue, then Permanent Unlock
- The unlock process will run and reboot your phone when it’s done
The process for T-Mobile isn’t any more complicated than other carriers, it’s just a bit slower.
And there you have it! Unlocking made easy. If you’re going on a vacation to another country or for any other reason you may need to slip another SIM card into your phone, you definitely need to get it unlocked first. As we’ve shown you above, it’s quick, painless and even if you have to go through a third party, it’s pretty cheap.