Instagram recently rolled out an update to its service which lets users hide other accounts from the feed. It’s a way of staying connected and following someone but in a way that doesn’t clutter your stream with their content. In other words, it lets you see their stuff only when you want to see it. The feature, known as Mute, is pretty handy to be sure. What’s more, it’s really easy to implement.
SEE ALSO: Instagram Stories gets a new type of poll, the Emoji Slider
If you’ve got some friends or accounts that you don’t want showing up on the main screen of Instagram, we’re here to help.
Here’s how to mute an account in Instagram
- Tap on the name of the account you’d like to adjust.
- In the top right, select the menu (in the top right)
- Choose the ‘Mute’ option
- Mute posts will keep pics and videos from showing up on the feed
- Mute Story will keep the Stories from appearing at the top of the home page
- Mute Posts and Story will… well, you know.
If you decide you’d like to undo the changes, simply go back in and adjust from inside the account’s profile page.
SEE ALSO: Five ways to beef up your Instagram privacy
The best part about doing this is that the person you’re making the changes to is none the wiser. Indeed, Instagram will not alert anyone that someone has silenced them.