Verizon Announces the Motorola Droid Pro [UPDATE]
UPDATE: Full press release and specs after the break:
Verizon has officially announced the Droid Pro. Before I go any farther, I just want to say that I absolutely love the form factor. I just hope Motorola got it right this time and we don’t have another Motorola Charm on our hands. We don’t know much specs-wise apart from Android 2.2 with Blur and global roaming support in more than 220 countries, but hopefully we will find out more soon. Verizon said this about the Droid Pro:
DROID PRO is a new, powerful, stronger and faster solution designed to meet both business and personal needs. The first Android™-based smartphone optimized for business use, DROID PRO is also a global-ready Android smartphone, allowing customers to enjoy wireless voice service in more than 220 countries and data coverage in more than 200 countries.
Anyone digging this? I hope we find out more this week at CTIA. I might just pick this up.
DROID Does Business: DROID PRO By Motorola Designed For Work And Play On The Nation’s Largest And Most Reliable 3G Network
Global Android Smartphone from Verizon Wireless Combines Rich Business and Personal Mobile Experiences
SAN FRANCISCO, CA — From CTIA Enterprise & Applications™ 2010, Verizon Wireless, the company with the nation’s largest and most reliable wireless 3G network, and Motorola, Inc. (NYSE: MOT) today unveiled DROID PRO, a new, powerful, stronger and faster solution designed to meet both business and personal needs. The first Android™-based smartphone optimized for business use, DROID PRO is also a global-ready Android smartphone from Verizon Wireless, allowing customers to enjoy wireless voice service in more than 220 countries and data coverage in more than 200 countries.
DROID PRO meets employers’ and employees’ needs by addressing the productivity tools businesses require, including corporate connectivity and security; full push corporate e-mail with corporate level security; unified calendar with additional work features; pre-loaded Quickoffice Mobile Suite, a powerful 1 GHz processor; 4 GB of memory (2 GB internal; and 2 GB removable) and a QWERTY keyboard designed for speed and convenience.
“DROID PRO combines the feature-packed, high-level user experience that customers look for in an Android smartphone plus the security that enterprises require, all with the reliability of Verizon Wireless’ 3G network,” said Mike Lanman, president – Enterprise and Government Markets for Verizon Wireless. “DROID PRO builds on our commitment to deliver the best Android experience to the marketplace as well as to our enterprise customers.”
“The DROID PRO is an advanced business-ready solution that provides users with the full smartphone experience, redefined by delivering the power of a DROID,” said Sanjay Jha, chief executive officer of Motorola Mobility. “The DROID PRO consolidates users’ work and personal needs. This is just another reason the DROID PRO is setting a new standard for enterprise, allowing users to enjoy all the benefits of a smartphone with full push delivery of corporate e-mail and corporate level security.”
Key features and specifications:
- Support for both Exchange e-mail and Gmail™ for business
- Corporate directory look-up, unified calendar for Enterprise and sync with Google Calendar™
- PC-like browsing with Adobe® Flash® Player 10.1 on a full, multi-touch, 3.1-inch brilliant display built on Android 2.2
- View, edit and share documents, including Microsoft Excel® spreadsheets, PowerPoint® presentations and Word® documents
- Built-in security features, including AuthenTec IPSec multi-headed VPN integration, remote wipe of device and SD card, and complex password support. Device and SD card encryption will be available in early 2011
- 3G Mobile HotSpot capabilities – Allows customers to connect up to five other Wi-Fi®-enabled devices and laptops
- Live widgets that stream e-mail messages to the home screen; customers can filter the widgets to separate work and home e-mail
- 5-megapixel camera with auto focus and dual LED flash as well as DVD-quality video
- 3G diversity antennae provides customers with enhanced data speeds and range
- Wi-Fi®-enabled DNLA® connectivity
- Android Market™ – Provides customers with access to more than 80,000 applications
- My Verizon and Backup Assistant(SM) support – Allows customers to manage their wireless accounts or their contacts from their phones
Pricing and availability:
- DROID PRO will be available atwww.verizonwireless.com and in Verizon Wireless Communications Stores in the coming weeks. Pricing will be announced closer to launch.
- For more information about Verizon Wireless products and services, visit a Verizon Wireless Communications Store, call 1-800-2 JOIN IN or go towww.verizonwireless.com.
You might also like
What would you do with a $25,000 shopping spree through Amazon? It’s possible you could actually find out; the online behemoth is throwing an Appstore Sweepstakes with a grand prize
Leave it to @evoleaks to give us a render of the Droid DNA as we’re about to wrap up our work week. The increasingly busy (and accurate)Twitter account just posted
The Galaxy S II has been released for a while in Europe now, but there’s still not even a nightly of the much anticipated CyanogenMod. No, I’m not giving you