Verizon Announces $299 Droid Bionic for September 8 (Tomorrow!)
And here we thought that September 8th was going to simply pass us by. Verizon has finally done it, announcing the Droid Bionic for release on September 8th, some nine months after its initial debut. To be fair here, we’re not talking about the same handset that was shown off in Las Vegas. But still!
Starting tomorrow, Verizon customers can pick up the latest model in the Droid lineup, the one that rules all machines. Carrying a $299 price tag, it’s more expensive than we’d like it to be however we don’t make the rules here. Details include a dual-core 1GHz processor, 1GB RAM, a 4.3-inch qHD display, 8-megapixel camera (1080p HD video) and support for 4G LTE. Toss in a front-facing camera, HDMI output with mirror mode, webtop docking capability, and 32 GB memory (16GB on board and 16 GB microSD) and we can see why Verizon wants to charge so much.
Verizon has also announced a number of official accessories for the Droid Bionic, including the laptop dock, vehicle navigation dock, and battery dock. Hit the break to read the press release and learn all there is to know about the handset and its accessories.
Verizon Wireless And Motorola Raise The Bar With DROID BIONIC™ By Motorola
Unsurpassed Power, Speed and Entertainment On the Fastest, Most Advanced 4G LTE Network in America
BASKING RIDGE, NJ, and LIBERTYVILLE, IL — Verizon Wireless and Motorola Mobility, Inc. (NYSE: MMI), today announced DROID BIONIC™ by Motorola will be exclusively available beginning Sept. 8.
DROID BIONIC is the first Verizon Wireless smartphone to combine 4G LTE with the power of dual-core 1 GHz processors, 1 GB of RAM and a stunning 4.3-inch qHD display – all in a sleek form factor that makes it the thinnest 4G LTE smartphone from Verizon Wireless. Customers can expect to fly across the Web on the Verizon Wireless 4G LTE network with download speeds of 5 to 12 Mbps and upload speeds of 2 to 5 Mbps in 4G LTE mobile broadband coverage areas.
DROID BIONIC introduces a host of groundbreaking applications and accessories that turn the device into a multimedia hub, a ruler of remote access and a purveyor of virtuality. DROID BIONIC introduces ZumoCast™ by Motorola, an application that lets customers bring their digital world of videos, music, pictures and documents stored on their computers to their handset via remote access. With its revolutionary Webtop application, DROID BIONIC can beam a full-featured Firefox® Web browser 4.0, email or documents to a TV or monitor, like the separately purchased Lapdock™ with a 11.6” screen, keyboard and integrated trackpad.
Accessories such as the HD Station let DROID BIONIC users turn the phone into an entertainment center or home office. Customers can view pictures, video, and content from the DROID BIONIC on any HDTV or monitor by connecting a separately sold HDMI cable. They can also take a conference call while editing documents and surfing the Web. And, of course, the DROID BIONIC lets customers share their 4G LTE signal with up to five Wi-Fi-enabled devices when they activate the Verizon Wireless Mobile Hotspot. The device of the future today, the DROID BIONIC also includes the following features:
- Powered by Android™ 2.3.4 Gingerbread
- Dual-core 1 GHz processor and 1 GB of RAM
- 4.3-inch qHD screen using scratch-resistant Corning® Gorilla® Glass with dual-layer anti-reflective coating
- 8-megapixel autofocus camera with flash and 1080p HD video capture
- Front-facing camera for video chat over 4G LTE, 3G or Wi-Fi
- MOTOPRINT app to print via Wi-Fi-enabled printers
- Mirror Mode with HDMI out (HDMI cable required) supporting 1080p HD video playback
- Multi-window options for multitasking with ease when using the Webtop application
- Business Ready with advanced security policies; resizable and scrollable email, calendar and task widgets; device and SD card encryption; and Citrix® GotoMeeting® and Citrix Receiver™ for Android
- Adobe® Flash® pre-loaded
- HTML 5 capable
- 32 GB memory: 16 GB on board and 16 GB microSD™ card pre-installed (actual formatted capacity is less)
- Support for up to 32 GB microSD cards
- Supports wireless charger
Pricing and availability:
- DROID BIONIC by Motorola will be available in Verizon Wireless Communication Stores and online at www.verizonwireless.comon Sept. 8 for $299.99 with a new two-year customer agreement.
- Customers will need to subscribe to a Verizon Wireless Nationwide Talk plan beginning at $39.99 for 450 minutes per month and a smartphone data package starting at $30 monthly access for 2 GB of data.
- Verizon Wireless Mobile Hotspot data plans are available beginning at $30 for 2 GB.
- For a limited time, customers who purchase a Lapdock with the DROID BIONIC can receive a $100 mail-in rebate when subscribing to a $50, 5 GB data plan or higher.
- The Lapdock will be available for $299.97, the HD Station will be available for $99.99 and the Adapter for Webtop Application will be available for $29.99.
- Vehicle Navigation Dock delivers easy access to maps, favorite contacts, hands-free calling, music, navigation and more and supports streaming of audio and music via the 3.5 mm audio jack, if available, to play through vehicle speakers. The Vehicle Navigation Dock will be available for $39.99.
- The Battery Dock with standard battery is a pocket-sized accessory with an extra battery included to charge both DROID BIONIC and an extra battery at the same speed as a wall charger. The Battery Dock will be available for $49.99.
For more information on Verizon Wireless products and services, visit a Verizon Wireless Communications Store, call 1-800-2 JOIN IN or go to www.verizonwireless.com. For more information on accessories, visit www.verizonwireless.com/accessories.
You might also like
We recently learned that Samsung has sold more than 2 million units of the Galaxy Note, so it’s safe to say that it’s popular. The device made its début in the U.S. when
Word on the street today is that Samsung’s much-anticipated Galaxy S III is slated for a March announcement followed by an April launch. The news of this comes from ZDNet Korea who
The smartphone market has completely revolutionized the mobile phone phenomena. These days it is understood that throughout the year we are going to have regular updates, new models, new technology