It’s finally here. Google has officially taken the paper wrapper off Ice Cream Sandwich. Now confirmed as Android 4.0, ICS bring a stunning new user interface that’s definitely not lacking in the polish department, ICS may just be the biggest change since the unveiling of Eclair (Android 2.0) in 2009.
We're giving stuff away to help celebrate our tenth anniversary. Are you in?
According to Matias Duarte, Android 4.0 was created with 3 prinicples in mind:
- Enchant Me
- Simplify My Life
- Make Me Aweseome
Here are the goodies that ICS has to offer:
- Designed with 16:9 1280×720 as the native resolution
- New “Roboto” font throughout OS
- Navigation buttons are virtual, but can hide when not in need
- Side swiping will be used across the platform (say goodbye to scrolling apps menu)
- Make folders by dragging and dropping icons onto each-other
- App launch is now customizable
- Quick application switching with previews (swipe a preview off screen to remove from list)
- Built-in screenshot taking
- Improved notifications, including music controls
- Swipe to remove individual notifications (ehem, kang’d from CyanogenMod?)
- New and improved keyboard with in-line spell checker
- Improved cut, copy, and paste, usable throughout OS
- Instant talk to text
- Face Unlock!!!!
- Redesigned Google Apps
- All new browser that syncs with Chrome from your desktop (and much more)
- Completely new Gmail experience (it’s awesome)
- Pinch-to-zoom in calendar
- Data usage management
- New camera with easier sharing capabilities, panorama mode, 0 shutter lag, etc.
- Photo editing capabilities
- Take photos while recording video
- People app that pulls info from all services that are linked
- Full-screen high res pics during calls and ability to reject calls with quick response message
- New phone app with built-in visual voicemail
- Android Beam – allows you to send things via NFC by just touching phones together
The SDK is available now at http://developer.android.com. Who’s excited?
Photo credit: This Is My Next…