Verizon officially becomes first carrier to announce Samsung Galaxy Nexus
The Samsung/Google event left us with many unanswered questions, most importantly, which carrier would be getting the Samsung Galaxy Nexus. We heard rumors of a Verizon exclusive, saw multiple corroborating evidence, but we never received any official word — until now! Verizon has finally stepped up to announce that they will be carrying the Samsung Galaxy Nexus and that it will be available later this year. This doesn’t solidify an “exclusive” deal with Verizon but it’s safe to assume they will be the first to have the device.
There was no mention of price but knowing Verizon… I’d start saving now. Well there you go. Verizon customers rejoice! The rest of you sit tight, I’m sure announcements will be made soon. Press release below, enjoy!
Source: Android Police
VERIZON WIRELESS INTRODUCES THE GALAXY NEXUS BY SAMSUNGFeatures the Latest Version of Android and America’s Fastest and Most Reliable 4G Network
BASKING RIDGE, N.J. – Verizon Wireless today announced that the Galaxy Nexus by Samsung, the world’s first smartphone running on Android™ 4.0, Ice Cream Sandwich is coming to Verizon Wireless. The Galaxy Nexus will be available later this year in Verizon Wireless Communications Stores and online at www.verizonwireless.com.
Ice Cream Sandwich brings a redesigned user interface with enhanced multitasking, notifications, full Web browsing experience and more. Customers will also be able to enjoy the innovative new features that Ice Cream Sandwich offers, such as Face Unlock which uses facial recognition to unlock the Galaxy Nexus. Customers can take advantage of the Verizon Wireless 4G LTE network to access more than 300,000 apps and games from Android Market™ or rent movies and stream them instantly on the 4.65-inch HD Super AMOLED™ display.
- 4G LTE – customers can expect fast download speeds of 5 to 12 megabits per second (Mbps) and upload speeds of 2 to 5 Mbps in 4G LTE mobile broadband coverage areas
- Android 4.0, Ice Cream Sandwich
- First smartphone to feature a 4.65-inch HD Super AMOLED™ display (1280 x 720)
- 1.2 GHz dual-core processor with 1GB RAM
- 5-megapixel autofocus camera with LED flash, zero shutter lag and 1080p full HD video capture
- 1.3-megapixel front-facing camera for video chatting
- Near Field Communications (NFC) enabled
- Android Beam allows customers to quickly share Web pages, apps and YouTube™ videos with friends by simply tapping compatible phones together
- Support for Google™ mobile services – Android Market, Gmail™, Google Maps™ 5.0 with 3D maps, Google Earth™, Movie Studio, YouTube™, syncing with Google Calendar™ and a redesigned Google＋ app
Customers that purchase the Galaxy Nexus by Samsung smartphone will need to subscribe to a Verizon Wireless Nationwide Talk plan beginning at $39.99 for monthly access and a smartphone data package starting at $30 monthly access for 2 GB of data. For more information on Verizon Wireless products and services, visit a Verizon Wireless Communications Store, call 1-800-2 JOIN IN or go to www.verizonwireless.com.