Boost Mobile dials up waterproof Kyocera Hydro EDGE
Sprint and Boost Mobile announced on Tuesday that the waterproof Kyocera Hydro Edge will be offered later this summer. Pricing and exact timing are not clear however we’ll get those details closer to the launch.
Key specifications for the Kyocera Hydro EDGE include Android 4.1 Jelly Bean, a 4-inch IPS impact-resistant display, 1GHz dual-core processor, and 5-megapixel rear camera. With an IP57 rating, the handset can withstand dust and water immersion (up to 30 minutes in 1 meter of water).
Waterproof Kyocera Hydro Edge Splashes into Sprint and Boost Mobile this Summer
LAS VEGAS – May 21, 2013 – Get summer-ready and ditch the water-damage worries of texting near water. Today,Sprint (NYSE:S), Boost Mobile and Kyocera Communications Inc. announce the upcoming availability of the Kyocera Hydro Edge smartphone. Whether it’s dropped in water or run through the sprinkler, Hydro Edge is built to withstand sprayed water or submersion in up to 3.28 feet of fresh water for 30 minutes.
Building on the success of the original Kyocera Hydro, which launched at Boost Mobile in 2012, Hydro Edge will be available this summer from both Sprint and Boost Mobile, one of Sprint’s no-contract brands. Hydro Edge boasts many enhancements to its predecessor, including a dual-core processor, 4-inch touchscreen, Android 4.1 and Kyocera’s Smart Sonic Receiver technology. Exact pricing and launch date will be announced closer to availability.
“Just about everyone knows someone who has damaged their phone in water,” said Fared Adib, senior vice president-Product Development, Sprint. “Kyocera Hydro Edge is the perfect smartphone to eliminate the panic of water damage for busy parents or anyone who works outside – from lifeguards to landscape architects. Sprint is making it even more affordable to enjoy Hydro Edge by giving our customers the choice between Sprint and Boost Mobile for their device purchase.”
The benefits of Hydro Edge from Sprint include:
- Upfront savings on the device with a new two-year service agreement or eligible upgrade.
- Truly UnlimitedSM data, text and calling to any mobile with no metering, no throttling, and no overages, all while on the Sprint network.
- Sprint is the most improved company in customer satisfaction, across all 47 industries, over the last five years, according to the American Customer Satisfaction Index (ACSI).
- Sprint customers have access to Sprint’s Ready Now service where trained retail associates will work one-on-one with customers to personalize their Kyocera Hydro Edge and set up such features as email, Web and apps before leaving the store. Customers have the choice of sitting down with a Sprint retail associate at the time of purchase or scheduling an appointment online for a later time.
Customers choosing to dip their Hydro Edge into the no-contract pool with Boost Mobile will appreciate:
- Boost Mobile’s no-contract $55 Android Monthly Unlimited plan with unlimited nationwide talk, text and picture messaging, Web, email and calls to 411.
- · Significant savings over the life of their Hydro Edge with Boost Mobile’s Shrinking Payments: for every six on-time payments, the cost of Boost Mobile’s Monthly Unlimited plan shrinks by $5, eventually getting down to as low as $40 a month. Payments do not need to be consecutive to qualify for the next savings milestone.
- Boost Mobile’s award-winning experience: Boost has been recognized by J.D. Power and Associates as “Highest Satisfaction with the Purchase Experience among Non-Contract Wireless Providers.”
Regardless of how you pay for your wireless services, Kyocera Hydro Edge on Sprint and Boost includes:
- Android™ 4.1, Jelly Bean
- 1GHz dual-core Qualcomm Snapdragon® processor
- Smart Sonic Receiver technology – improves audio in noisy environments
- 4-inch capacitive impact-resistant touchscreen
- 5-megapixel camera with LED flash and video camera
“Kyocera Hydro Edge is the next generation of the original Kyocera Hydro, which launched at Boost Mobile in 2012 and has been a top seller ever since,” said Eric Anderson, senior vice president and general manager of global sales and marketing at Kyocera Communications Inc. “People clearly see the value of an affordable smartphone that’s also waterproof. With Hydro Edge, we’re keeping those core values while taking performance to a new level.”
Smart Sonic Receiver Technology
Hydro Edge features Kyocera’s proprietary, award-winning Smart Sonic Receiver technology, which eliminates the need for a traditional speaker in a handset by using vibrations to transmit sounds directly to the eardrum. Placing the phone in contact with the general area of the ear creates clear sound even in very noisy environments, such as construction sites, sporting events, concerts and playgrounds. Removing the traditional speaker eliminates the need for a speaker cavity in the phone’s housing, enabling cleaner aesthetics and enhanced waterproofing. The technology received multiple “Best of” awards when it was introduced at CTIA Wireless 2012, the wireless industry’s largest U.S. trade show.
To support the growing need for data, Sprint is rolling out a new 3G/4G network designed to provide faster data speeds, improved call quality and easier connectivity. Sprint expects customers to benefit with better wireless signal strength, in-building coverage and fewer drops/blocks. For the most up-to-date information on Sprint network coverage, please visit sprint.com/coverage.
Please visit kyocerasmartphones.com/hydro-
You might also like
Droid owners got their update many weeks ago, now the Telus Motorola Milestone is up at bat. The update is not over-the-air (OTA) so don’t stop reading this post just
In an article over at Briefmobile.com given to us by our friend Kenneth Pennington, some new pics and info have surfaced about another upcoming Motorola handset, the Greco. A couple
The head honcho behind Google’s Chrome effort, Sundar Pichai, recently spent a bit of time chatting with CNET about where the browser is now and where it’s going. Rather than